Dried Tobacco Leaves?

Ive seen a few videos around, and people who make their own shisha have like a dried block of tobacco leaves. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on just a few bricks? There are probably sites that sell it, but most likely wholesale. All I want to do is a little experimenting with making my own shisha.

And how would I go upon artificial/natural flavoring? Is there something out there like glycerin that has added flavor? (Fruits and what not). And if going with natural fruits how would I do fruits? Caramelize it and add it to the shisha?

I know these questions have probably been asked a thousand times around here, but if you could just point me in the right direction it would be great.

Well dried tobacco leaves that people used probably is virginia blend (i think) or most likely Tombak tobacco which is a very traditional style tobacco that people smoke out of their hookah. The tombak I think you can find on hookah-shisha.com. As for the flavoring alot of people extract the flavoring from fruits and such. I think what you do is put the fruit in boiling water and let it sit which should extract the flavor into the water. As far as the process browse the how-to section there are a couple threads there about making your own shisha.

QUOTE (srawas89 @ Nov 30 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well dried tobacco leaves that people used probably is virginia blend (i think) or most likely Tombak tobacco which is a very traditional style tobacco that people smoke out of their hookah. The tombak I think you can find on hookah-shisha.com. As for the flavoring alot of people extract the flavoring from fruits and such. I think what you do is put the fruit in boiling water and let it sit which should extract the flavor into the water. As far as the process browse the how-to section there are a couple threads there about making your own shisha.

http://www.hookahcompany.com/traditional_tobacco_42_ctg.htm

Either of the top two are the blocks of dried tobacco.

Well I work in a kitchen and we make quite a few fruit flavoured jellies. Basically what you do is boil the fruit you want (as stated above) and then add either glucose, cornstarch or xanthan gum. They can all be found in specialty grocery stores. If you want to make it really easy just buy some fruit puree, dilute it with water (because they are insanely sweet) and mix that with one of the thickening agents.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Dec 2 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the weight of the shisha is in the additives. You could probably get away with making 250g of shisha from 100g of actual tobacco.

Yah, that's about right. Normally when I make a batch of shisha I use ~50g of tobacco, and end up with close to 150g of shisha. I do use a little more honey/glycerine than is normal, but still.

I'm sure she does some sort of flue curing. In Hawaii the air is so humid that I doubt she air dries them. I'm waiting anxiously to get my own place. Grow some baccy out on the patio. I'd like to grow Turkish if I can get away with it. Best stuff for shisha, sweet, low nicotine, and small leaves for easy curing.

N Rustica (aka Jungle Tobacco) can be bought at bouncingbear.com for relativly cheap. I frequently add some of it to my shisha to add a little more of a kick. I don't know if it would make a good shisha on it's own, but I would highly advise to wash it first....the nicotine content is through the roof.

QUOTE (acolon_5 @ Dec 3 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
N Rustica (aka Jungle Tobacco) can be bought at bouncingbear.com for relativly cheap. I frequently add some of it to my shisha to add a little more of a kick. I don't know if it would make a good shisha on it's own, but I would highly advise to wash it first....the nicotine content is through the roof.

hmm how much do you add and how much can u taste it? i would love to get some strength out of some of the weaker shishas