Still Getting A Burnt Taste

I dont know what im doing wrong but this is my second post about this.

Sice my first one I have changed alot of things including getting named brand shisha(al fakher), new bowl that deeper, split up my 3k coals, packing the bowl lightly and without the shisha touching the foil. I really dont know what im doing wrong cause im still getting that burnt taste that I dont get when i go to a hookah bar.

experimentation is the key here.

You could be packing it too light (I realise this might be contradictory to other advice, but too little tobacco and your in danger of charring it quickly)

How big is the bowl? Possible your using too many pieces of coal for teh bowl size?

Chuck some piccies up on your tobacco in the bowl and your overall setup.

JD

I think you're confusing burnt with coal taste. Does it hurt to inhale it, or just taste bad?

Half a 3-kings wont burn tobacco, as long as you have anything between it and the shisha.

Try this again, but heres what i want you to do:

Pack the bowl with tobacco, and add a pinch more than you have before. I dont know if you're packing enough or not, but it wont hurt.
Take your 3 kings coal, and light it *away from the bowl*
When you pick that coal up with your tongs to put it on the bowl, you need to be 100% sure that it is completely burning. Ideally, you want it to be covered in a thin white powder.
If you have so much as one dot of black still there, its going to taste like coal.
Dont break the coal either. You can work on heat management once you actually get a bowl burning. So just plop that coal straight down, touching the edge of the bowl (so not dead center, but have the entire coal on the foil) and you will taste and feel in the back of your throat when it starts to go, if it starts to go.

! Break your coals BEFORE you light them! Otherwise when you try to split it in half with your tongs, one piece will almost inevitably go flying off in some direction and cause damage! A permanent reminder of that lesson branded on the passenger seat of my mom's car >.<

I been experimenting alot of different amounts of shisha in the bowl and none has really worked, also breaking the coals before lighting them...maybe ill give the coals 10 mins after i light them before I start smoking??

but it seems like when i get that harsh taste its 15 mins after I started smoking.

try double foil, light the coal and when it is done sparking keep lighting it and blowing on it till it's all the way lit, then throw it on and puff away... with double foil it takes a bit longer to get it to smoke thick

QUOTE (jaxxx123 @ Jun 9 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tried that also, didnt make much of a difference execpt a longer time to start the hookah

Are you rotating your coals around the bowl?
If its burning after 15 minutes, thats the shisha roasting due to too much heat, in which case rotate the coals to a cooler part of the bowl, and let the hot part cool down.
Ideally you do this before you start burning the tobacco.

QUOTE (Calcartman @ Jun 9 2007, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tried that also, didnt make much of a difference execpt a longer time to start the hookah

If its burning after 15 minutes, thats the shisha roasting due to too much heat, in which case rotate the coals to a cooler part of the bowl, and let the hot part cool down.

yea Iam rotating the coals around usually about 15 after I start smoking.
I tried using the hookaology silver square coals and it seems to keep the harsh taste down a bit.

QUOTE (jaxxx123 @ Jun 10 2007, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Calcartman @ Jun 9 2007, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea Iam rotating the coals around usually about 15 after I start smoking.
I tried using the hookaology silver square coals and it seems to keep the harsh taste down a bit.

Well, try rotating em a little quicker, or hanging them off the side of the bowl, or even taking one off after the bowl is heated up.
This is what heat management is all about, you'll figure out pretty quickly how to keep it from getting burnt.