Cleaning Disgusting Hookah

Procrastination has finally caught up with me. I put off cleaning my hookah for too long and now I can't get the disgusting old tobacco smell out of it. The bowl and hose are fine, but the rest is god awful.

What can I use to clean it? Rubbing alcohol? Edited by whatdoisay

If it's really bad use rubbing alcohol. If it hasn't got animals living in it some lemon juice, hot water, and a bit of vinegar should do the trick. If you don't have a brush get some pipe-cleaners from your nearest haberdashery.

How do you know the hose is alright? Always doubt your hoses' cleanliness. When you think it's finished cut it open with a blade and see what wonders year-old tobacco smoke can grow inside your hose. It's amazing. Truly. Amazing.

terrible idea washin the hose with water and soap after only 8 uses...99% of hoses have a metal coil inside that WILL rust ....so, its generally not worth ever washing your hose, unless its completely plastic

just try to not get water from the base in it and dont wash it again.....vinegar and a brush are AMAZING for the stem and base

QUOTE (Estariol @ Nov 3 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Always doubt your hoses' cleanliness. When you think it's finished cut it open with a blade and see what wonders year-old tobacco smoke can grow inside your hose. It's amazing. Truly. Amazing.

What if you have a plastic hose or even a Nammor hose which you wash after every 3 uses with warm water?

And yes, some parts of a hookah are impossible to throughly clean. This is why I pay money only for functionality. No point in spending $200-300 for a fancy looking hookah that does works just as well as a $50 and collects chemicals after several years. Unless of course, I was an Indian MahaRaja (Maha = Great; Raja = King) trying to impress dignitaries. Edited by thegreengoblin707

One of those handheld steamer things are great for hookah cleaning! I alternate steaming and scrubbing until the water runs clear.

Bonus: Guy friends are so enthralled with the steamer that I can usually get them to fight over who gets to clean the hookah. YMMV

I have an electric tea kettle, that will boil water in less then 3 minutes after being turned on. I usually use and that pour a whole pot with lemon juice into the base and down my stems. That ALWAYS gets smells out. As for the hose, I pretty much just leave them alone. I've tryed to wash them a few times, but they always jsut rust and I have to buy a new one anyway.

• 4 months later...
I'm bumping this thread instead of making a new one.

I am wondering when the best time to clean is? Like as soon as possible after you smoke, or after a day once all the stuff has dried or what not?

I'm still surprised at how high maintence these things are.

sorry I'm new this whole thing.

Should I clean my hookah every time I use it or every other time? Can I smoke it and just leave it be till the next morning and clean it? How should one clean out the hose as I read above that it shouldn't really ever be cleaned ?

I have a Mya QT.

I used to clean mine out very session but now since 1 bowl can go several sessions for me, I clean it with every new bowl. Sometimes I won't and the Starbuzz Wildberry Mint will carry over to another bowl and the flavor is great but I have to watch what I smoke next.

QUOTE (piperjason @ Mar 20 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry I'm new this whole thing.

Should I clean my hookah every time I use it or every other time? Can I smoke it and just leave it be till the next morning and clean it? How should one clean out the hose as I read above that it shouldn't really ever be cleaned ?

I have a Mya QT.

At home I clean my hookah after every session. At the bar I clean every hookah between customers as well. Everyone gets a fresh set up every time.
If you have a Mya hose, the best thing to tdo is remember to blow the last of the smoke out of it and the end of a session. This keeps the smoke from settleing out in you hose and building up dust. If you start getting black crap in your mouth when you smoke, bang the hose on a wall or the floor a few times to loosen the build up and blow it out very well. If you get RED dust, it's rust and your hose is croaked.

If you have a flavour build up or a lot of the black crud, you can use cold water to rinse out the Mya hose, I also use concentrated Lemon juice for getting tastes out. I'm also told a rifle cleaning brush for a .223 will fit down a Mya hose. Just be careful you don't tear the plastic liner around the coil.
If you wash the hose, whiup it around your head outside to get the excess water out and then hang it over a rod or something to drip dry. Don't smoke a wet hose as it will collect smoke particles even faster.