Kinda Random Question

I have a Maroon belly conure, and I am really afraid to smoke a hookah in the same room as her, since birds have really sensitive respiratory systems. Does anyone else have a parrot? and if so do you smoke around it?

put the bird outside......birds fly......hmmmm......

QUOTE (chinamon @ Oct 22 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Oct 23 2008, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your wrong

smile.gif

hahha i guess dog owners dont own a leash...
and cat owners dont own a litter box...
and chinese people that own a vehicle dont have high insurance rates...

ZING. All for a good reason too biggrin.gif

as someone stated above, if you are really worried, toss a blanket over...the blanket would serve as a filter for air going into the cage.

I too know nothing about birds, just makes sense to me.

Perhaps you could create some sort of Anti-pathogen gasmask custom fit for birds? That way they would be ready for smoke and all sorts of global crisis such as zombie plague, nuclear holocaust, mass halitosis outbreak, an encounter with an evil crop dusting farmer with delusions of grandeur, etc, etc...

It's what I'd do.

From what I understand parrots are supposed to be sensitive to smoke... Then again my dad's macaw loves to go hang out with him when he's outside building a fire to cook with so I don't know. I guess just open a window and have the bird's cage by it.

Yeah I think I will just not smoke in the same room with her just to be on the safe side. She is a great bird and i would die if I killed her with hookah smoke. Alot of people dont realize how easy they can die, my friends bird died from a plug in glade air freshner, and i have heard of other peoples birds getting poisned from using a teflon pan on a stove to close to them!

I was thinking during the summer it would be ok to just open a couple windows and dont blow smoke at her, but I live in colorado and its not really conducive to my heat bill, nor the warmth of my bird to be leaving windows open this time of the year.

speaking from a simple knowledge of environmental toxins,

teflon pans that are heated to a certain temp. without anything on it, produces an airborne toxic chemical. it is dangerous to both humans/birds. it is not toxic when it is heated.

QUOTE (Capt. Morgan @ Oct 23 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I understand parrots are supposed to be sensitive to smoke... Then again my dad's macaw loves to go hang out with him when he's outside building a fire to cook with so I don't know. I guess just open a window and have the bird's cage by it.

Same here. I have an African Grey and he loves to hang out by the fire with my dad. And also hang out with the guys when we play poker and smoke hookahs. I would say either cover the cage or smoke in a differnt room. Edited by NUBBS

QUOTE (chinamon @ Oct 22 2008, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just smoke. screw the bird.

That made me laugh so hard, thank you chinamon laugh.gif
I used to have a parakeet, but that was way before I started smoking. My solution would be to just not smoke in the same room as the bird. I'd say smoke outside, but I did that yesterday with some friends and it was SO COLD.
Though some Nakhla Cappuccino made that all better smile.gif

My mom has 3 parrots and is really into birds. I would be very careful specifically seeing as how you have a conure which are pretty small. I would imagine the biggest reason they're more sensitive is just lung size, they have tiny lungs which suck at filtering. I wouldn't smoke in the same room, a blanket over the cage isn't gonna do much...