Damn Smoke Detectors...

Soooo...after months of smoking in my dorm room, I've finally set off my smoke detector. I guess it was my fault, because I got too complacent with some pre-cautions that I took to prevent this from happening...

Btw, I was smoking Tangiers Static Starlight + Mint...stupidly large clouds...doesn't make for a relaxing session when your smoke detector goes off 15 minutes into the session. blush.gif

And now my paranoia is back...don't think I'll be smoking in my room anymore sad.gif

O well that sucks man. I always thought that the hookah smoke would not set off the smoke alarm. Did you ever try to disconnect your smoke detector? Did that in my friends dorm room every time we wanted to smoke.

I've only set the smoke alarm off in my house once while smoking, but thats only because I set up the hookah close to the wall under the smoke detector. Did you set up anywhere near yours? that may be the only problem. hehe you should have seen how scared I was though because we actually have the water spouts that come on when theres a fire all over the house. I ran to my t.v and threw my shirt on it, didn't need to since they didn't come on but everyone sure did have a good laugh at it though. tongue.gif

QUOTE (jeremyk @ Aug 11 2009, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sucks I smoke in my room at my house when I wanna solo session n luckyly I've never set my smoke alarm off. What do you usually do to prevent it from going off?

can't really say what i do...i remember talking to mush about it a while ago...and he said, it's better that i don't mention that stuff....sooo, yeah...google can be your friend though smile.gif

QUOTE (srawas89 @ Aug 11 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O well that sucks man. I always thought that the hookah smoke would not set off the smoke alarm. Did you ever try to disconnect your smoke detector? Did that in my friends dorm room every time we wanted to smoke.

i wish i could disconnect the smoke detector, however...it's one of those detectors that are hardwired...

QUOTE (chinodos @ Aug 12 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only set the smoke alarm off in my house once while smoking, but thats only because I set up the hookah close to the wall under the smoke detector. Did you set up anywhere near yours? that may be the only problem. hehe you should have seen how scared I was though because we actually have the water spouts that come on when theres a fire all over the house. I ran to my t.v and threw my shirt on it, didn't need to since they didn't come on but everyone sure did have a good laugh at it though. tongue.gif

the smoke detector is about 2ft back, 4ft to my left and on a 10ft-ish ceiling...unfortunately, i live in an 11' x 12' room and the smoke detector is smack dab in the middle of it...no where to run in this room. hahaha..

The only time the smoke detector at my apartment has gone off is when my stupid ass roomate lit CH quicklights on the stove... (I wasn't home, he goes through my shit and doesn't know what he is doing)

That sucks arcane...I always thought you couldn't set the alarm off with hookah smoke??

QUOTE (norcalsmoker @ Aug 11 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only time the smoke detector at my apartment has gone off is when my stupid ass roomate lit CH quicklights on the stove... (I wasn't home, he goes through my shit and doesn't know what he is doing)

That sucks arcane...I always thought you couldn't set the alarm off with hookah smoke??

man norcal, ever think about kicking that roommate out and getting one that doesn't screw up as much?? most threads I see you in your talking about your roommate. wink.gif

QUOTE (chinodos @ Aug 11 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (norcalsmoker @ Aug 11 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

man norcal, ever think about kicking that roommate out and getting one that doesn't screw up as much?? most threads I see you in your talking about your roommate. wink.gif

Ya my roommate is one of the dumbest people I have ever known. I have thought about kicking him out but no one else can afford the rent. So I'm stuck with him at least until my lease is up in december...

QUOTE (Arcane @ Aug 11 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (srawas89 @ Aug 11 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i wish i could disconnect the smoke detector, however...it's one of those detectors that are hardwired...

I had one of those at an apartment I was living at a couple years ago. I went ahead and unwired it myself smile.gif But, then I found out when you unwire them, it sets them off sad.gif One of my roommates detectors went off after he burned some food. He just took a broom handle and whacked the hell out of it. Broke it, but it shut off smile.gif

And I am thinking it may have been the heat from your coals that set off the detector more than the smoke maybe? I know a lot of detectors go off to heat rather than smoke.

What we always did in my buddies dorm was open the window and place a fan on low facing outside. It may not be best for smoke tricks cause of the movement of air but it works very well for clearing out the room.

I'm sorry to hear that...setting off the smoke detector in my dorm room is probably one of my biggest fears in life, I literally have nightmares about that on a regular basis. Here's hoping you can find another comfortable and safe place to smoke, or that you can figure out a way to make your dorm room work again.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 11 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jabbles180 @ Aug 11 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What we always did in my buddies dorm was open the window and place a fan on low facing outside. It may not be best for smoke tricks cause of the movement of air but it works very well for clearing out the room.

You haven't smoked Tang have you? tongue.gif

Actually, yes. Tangiers is my go to tobacco. I'm not saying that it gets all the smoke out perfectly but in my experience it moves enough smoke and air to stop a smoke detector from going off. In any case it sucks to set off the smoke alarm. I am sorry for anybody that has to deal with that especially in a dorm setting.

QUOTE (Jabbles180 @ Aug 12 2009, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 11 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jabbles180 @ Aug 11 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You haven't smoked Tang have you? tongue.gif

Actually, yes. Tangiers is my go to tobacco. I'm not saying that it gets all the smoke out perfectly but in my experience it moves enough smoke and air to stop a smoke detector from going off. In any case it sucks to set off the smoke alarm. I am sorry for anybody that has to deal with that especially in a dorm setting.

i have 3 fans going in my room...1 ceiling fan, a tower fan and a regular circular fan....all of them on high towards an open window (except the ceiling fan, of course)...and my smoke detector still went off...probably because of the frequency of my pulls and the fact that i was blowing out a really good amount of smoke.

Guess im wrong then. haha.

Maybe its about placement and your proximity to the fan. Also you said you have 3 fans. Those fans can all move the air around the room in different directions. All i know is we had one fan faced directly at the window on a nightstand/dresser that was also right next to the window. We sat on his roommates bed and his bed which were both within a couple feet of the nightstand and the fan blew most of the smoke out the window. All this with tangiers.

There has to be something that you can do so you dont have to be afraid of smoking in your room. I was just throwing out something that worked for me.