A few basic questions

I've been smoking hookah for a few weeks now and I've come across a few things I havent been able to figure out.

Foil- Shiny side up or down? If theres any difference, what is it? I've been using shiny side down(facing the shisha) so that it doesnt stick, but I barely have shisha touch the foil in the first place, and when the few pieces do touch, they stick anyways.

Hose cleaning- I have a Mya washable hose, but how should I actually clean it and dry it out so I dont get a weird taste from it? I haven't even tried to clean it yet because I dont want to damage it or let a funky taste settle in it.

Thats about all I can think of now, but I know I'll come up with more seemingly obvious questions I can't figure out. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Foil- Shiny side down seems to heat it better but maybe its just me, and it will stick regaurdless, its normal

Hose Cleaning- Make a U with your hose and grab it right underneath the handle, but on the hose part. Slap it around on a tree or somthing to knock all the loose shit out then run hot water through it

Shiny side down.

I usually just blow through my hoses, but if I wash them I let them hang somewhere for a day or two to dry out. Some people use a mixture of lemon juice and water, I think.

TYLER

Yeah anything acid like, I use vinegar some time and plug both side of the hose and twist it around my head really fast outside then rise it out really good, seems to eat all the nasty shit up

I usually blow water through the hose, which has worked well thus far.

I also smoke a briar pipe, (which if you haven't ever tried, I highly recommend... there's a good reason why your grandfather/psyc professor might have enjoyed a pipe to a ripe old age) I don't do it very often but some people use either grain alcohol or bourbon to clean a briar pipe... I'm thinking something clear like Vodka might be better for a hookah hose, but may be worth trying.... let me know if you strongly believe otherwise though.

Just my $.02
Paulson

Is there a specific reason for the whole shiney side down thing? I never really paid any mind to it, but I've noticed people seem to have mentioned it a coupe times.

Hookahwiki has a good page for washing hoses. [url="http://www.hookahwiki.com/index.php?title=Hose_Cleaning"]http://www.hookahwiki.com/index.php?title=...e=Hose_Cleaning[/url]
I've used both lemon and vinegar at seperate times for washing out my hookah, and it seems that lemon might do a better job (although the vinegar mixture was less concentrated). There was some crud stuck to the underside of my bowl, and it was really easy to scrape it off after letting it mellow in a bowl of the lemon mixture for a while

I don't think it matters. I like shiny side down, but only so the head doesn't attract as much attention. I think it might play a part in charcoal safety...its easiers to see small charcoal against a dull background rather than dealing with reflections. Yes, I am talking out of my ass, here.

Thanks for the info guys, I do appreciate it.

Rubbing alcohol should be fine for cleaning your stem, as long as its dry before the next time you smoke from it.
As for your hose, I'd stick to similar instructions on the above link. I'd avoid using rubbing alcohol in the hose because the site said hoses take 5-7 days to properly dry. I see that as an issue because if you've ever left alcohol in a flask for that long, you'd know it makes it taste metallic and gross. Similar principles could apply to hookah hoses, so in my opinion, play it safe and use what you know works.

[quote name='OPR234']Heres a question that slipped my mind earlier-
Whats the easiest way to split a quicklight coal like 3k or golden?  I cant do it without making a mess.[/quote]

I do it with my hands (which is somewhat messy), but I've also used a knife and sawed through them. Just don't use too much pressure or you'll get fifths instead of halves. ;-)

So nobody has any tricks for splitting coals other than by hand or sawing it with a knife, which both could get messy? The only reason i'm so curious about this is because i usually use two coals to get my bowls going, but it heats up quickly and one of the coals barely even gets used so its almost a waste.

[quote name='OPR234']So nobody has any tricks for splitting coals other than by hand or sawing it with a knife, which both could get messy?  The only reason i'm so curious about this is because i usually use two coals to get my bowls going, but it heats up quickly and one of the coals barely even gets used so its almost a waste.[/quote]

I break mine by hand, but if you have a chisel, or wide flat screwdriver or metal scraper you could probably hold that against the coal and give it a good whack downwards, which would either break it or at least score it and make it easier/cleaner to snap with your fingers.

[quote name='ThePaulson']Just my $.02
Paulson[/quote]His name is Robert Paulson...His name is Robert Paulson

sorry, coudn't resist

but as for your hos, if you do not want to wash it for fear of ruining something (although you have a Mya hose so it shoudn't be a problem) you can slap it against a wall or something then use a vaccume cleaner to pull all the loose shit outa there, thats what we do at the hookah lounge where i work, but be have the non washable cobra hoses.

[quote name='Joseph']Yeah, thats what my chemistry knoweldge told me about isopropyl alchohol for cleaning, I just wondered if there was something I was missing.[/quote]

Last I heard, it is approved in small quantities for food useage, flavorings. Its only moderately poisonous. I would never use it or use a flavoring that had it in, but thats only common sense safety.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I know, but in very small quantities, I was told its legal for food use. I haven't really researched it. I wouldn't use it, so its academic. There's an MSDS for glycerine and an MSDS for deionized water, as well. All common chemicals have one. Any chemical in enough quantity will be poisonous, so the MSDS should include poisoning instructions.